Saturday, December 13, 2014

Journal For A Friend...

     I had decided to make a journal for a friend as a Christmas Present,
sneak peek here:


    Then the fun began -- what do I use to make the cover -- chip board, cardboard, 140# Watercolor paper, recycle something??? The ideas were endless but I ended up recycling cereal boxes. I used two of the same size, glued them together for added strength and thickness. I sanded the printed glossy side for better adhesion using Liquitex Matte Gel to glue together. I did not want the printed side out incase there might be any bleeding of the colors.
     When the matte gel set up, I cut the boxes to the size journal I wanted. Since I was using Designer Paper folded to 6x9 inch size, I made the front and back covers 6 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches to give a 1/4 lip all around.
     The sides of the cereal box were 2 3/4 inches wide which I kept, but cut the length to 6 1/2 inches.
      I cut duck cloth, which is a very heavy cotton material that resembles canvas, to 18 inches x 11 inches for the complete front/outside of the journal and 15 1/4 inches x 9 1/4 for the complete inside cover. The extra on the front cover allows for wrapping around to the inside for a finished look on the edges. Applying the smaller to the inside finishes the book. I left an eighth inch separation between the front/back cereal covers and what would be the spine, so the journal would close/open unobstructed.
     Using the Matte Gel, I glued all in place and left to dry over night. When all was dry I used Liquitex Gesso to all sides of the journal.
     I worked on the inside first. I wanted dimension, but not too much. I used gauze, lace, Magic Mesh, the mesh from an onion bag, felt flower strip, and dot tape, adhering all in place with matte gel. When all was dry, I added Liquitex Modeling paste for more dimension using a chicken wire stencil along with a harlequin, clock and dot stencils. Once all was dry, I covered it again in gesso.
     Using Lindy's Stamp Gang Gator Gumbo Olive and Jazzy Jivin' Purple Mardi Gras Mania Magicals and Tibetan Poppy Teal Autumn Leaves Collection Magicals, I sprinkled the DRY powders randomly over the inside covers. Then I spritzed with water and let the magic begin. I let the colors mingle and merge!! Where there was not enough coverage, I mixed the Magicals with water in Ranger Mini Misters and sprayed where I felt was needed.
     When all was dry, I mixed glitter from Finnabair Art ExtraVagance Glitter Mardi Gras set (Prima) with Art Basics 3D Gloss Gel (Prima) spreading onto the felt flowers to make them "pop" with that amazing glitter sparkle of this line of glitter!!!
     I also mixed a thick paste using the Gator Gumbo Olive Magical powder and water. Using my finger to spread this past onto the all the stenciled areas to highlight them with that amazing green gold!!!
     The depth and sparkle of LSG Magicals is breathtaking and they co-ordinate so richly with the Finnabair Glitter!!

Complete inside:



Left inside cover:





Right inside cover:





     Now for the outside. I wanted dimension on all the sides, just like the inside. Using the same materials from the inside, I cover the complete front with onion packaging mesh, gauze, lace and ribbon and magic mesh. I used the same stencils and the modeling paste to add more dimension.
     When all was dry, using items from my "stash" I collaged gears, beads, flowers, and various metal objects onto the front then gessoed everything.
     Applying the same technique as I did on the inside covers, I sprinkled the same Magicals randomly, then spritzed with water, filling in with more color from the sprays I made.
     I finished the outside cover off with the same paste of Gator Gumbo Olive on all the stenciled items and on the metal pieces on the front.
     Using the glitter gel, I added the purple and olive colors to all the flowers and some of the metal pieces.
     To complete the front, I attached a few rhinestones in the the Mardi Gras colors and added white pearl sprays.
     The sentiment I printed on music paper and sealed with JudiKin Micro Glaze which is a wax I use to seal Ink Jet printed items.
     I sealed all with Grumbacher Final Fixative, since everything is water based. Sure would hate for this to get wet!!!
     Now, all I have to do is add all the signatures and this will be done!!!

The full outside cover:



Front of journal:

Trying to catch the simmer and glitter here:




The back side of the journal:


Full journal again:


     I just love how LSG Magicals are tonal and have a luster and shimmer unique to them. The depth of color is amazing and they are a perfect pairing with Finnabair Mardi Gras Glitters

     Thanks for sticking around to read this long description, I truly appreciate it.




20 comments:

  1. Love This!!! I really love the music paper showing in the cover and the sort of "window" it makes with the space and the paper inserted behind the space. Sylvia this is awesome!! I'm doing a similar gift for my future daughter in law for Christmas. I made her an Art Journal by hand out of a cereal box as well. You know what they say about great minds and all, LOL!! I didn't decorate it too much on the cover or the inside because I attached bunches of "stuff" with tiny clothes pins to the inside and the pages of the journal so she can decorate it however she wants after she gets it. I thought about decorating it for her but she is an artist in her own right and I know she would have a blast decorating it for herself.
    I really love this cover you designed Sylvia. Thanks for sharing!!!
    Big Hugs!!!
    Reeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reeah!!! I tells, ya -- great minds indeed!!! I'm using designer paper for the signatures. The gal I am giving it to is not crafty at all, so she would be perplexed to decorate the pages. The designer paper can speak for itself with what ever she wants to add as far as pictures go or other items. I am including a bunch of tags, journalling cards, paperclips for her to use if she wants. Your daughter will love hers and the fact that you ARE leaving it for her to add her personal touches is perfect!!!

      Delete
  2. Those colors are just too, too yummy. What a lucky friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is gorgeous, I love the colours, the textures and the front with all the shimmer and glitter! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! ! Those Lindy Stamp Gang Magicals are amazing with the shimmer and depth of color! ! I love working with them

      Delete
  4. Oh my Sylvia, that is just "gorg-onderful"!!!!!! (gorgeous and wonderful shortened, my word) Oh I love all the colors and textures!!! There is so much to see and I want to touch it all! I love this! hugs, patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty!! I love texture on journals, well, on anything !!! And this was fun to do

      Delete
  5. Absolutely stunning, Sylvia! You took this to church and back! Love Patty's new word to describe it! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zsuzsa! ! I had alot of fun making all the layers. The hardest part was waiting for it to dry so I could add the LSG Magicals. I knew I was gonna use the Finnabair Glitter and I wanted inks that would coordinate well with the glitter colors

      Delete
  6. This is so beautiful Sylvia! Your friend wi be so pleased :) I must now add these magical powders to my grueling list of things I 'need' lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Shel, you won't be sorry. There IS something "magical" about LSG Magicals !!!

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a wonderful gift you're creating - lucky, lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Win. This will be a first for her, so I'm including all sorts of extras to help her out, like clips, journaling blocks, photo mounts, etc..

      Delete
  8. ME TOO! Second every comment. Such a beautiful choice of colors and techniques...applause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great cover, your friend will be so happy and she's very lucky to have such a good friend who obviously spent a lot of time and love crdeating this gorgous book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky, for your kind comment. I decided to make as many gifts as I can this Christmas Season. I have way tooooo much stash, hoarding, just hoarding for the sake of hoarding, so said to my self, "No more purchases, use what you have!!!" So, she is getting this, and I do hope she likes it. I visited your blog and noticed you are on blogspot also. That means you have a Google Plus account cuz Google owns blogspot, so I was wondering, I belong to a great community over on Google Plus that you might be interested in called "kraafters kommunity". After reading all the great crafty stuff you do, I thought you might like to join this group. We have alot of fun with challenges, kraafting it together hangouts, and all sorts of postings. I do hope you'll take a look at the kommunity, and if you like what you see, I hope you will join us.

      Delete
  10. This is truly a visual feast for one's eyes Sylvia!! What a most gorgeous gift- I would imagine your friend will cherish this forever- I know I would!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Merry Christmas to you and blessing for a wonderful healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete